Appointment of Vice-Chancellor
The GOVERNING COUNCIL of the University of Education, Winneba (UEW) announces that the Position of Vice-Chancellor shall become vacant on 1st October, 2023.
The University of Education, Winneba (UEW) was established in September, 1992 as a University College under the PNDC Law 322 and became a fully-fledged University on 14th May, 2004 by the enactment of the University of Education, Winneba Act 2004 (Act 672) as amended by Act 1026. The University is charged with the responsibility of producing professional Educators to spearhead a new national vision of education aimed at redirecting Ghana’s effort along the path of rapid economic and social development. UEW is expected to play a leading role in the country’s drive to produce scholars whose knowledge would be fully responsive to the realities and experiences of contemporary Ghana and the West-African Sub-Region.
The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive of the University and is responsible in accordance with the Act, the Statutes and decisions of the Governing Council and Academic Board, for organizing and conducting the academic, financial and administrative business of the University and for promoting the efficiency and good order of the University. He/She is charged with the promotion of quality higher education and provision of academic and administrative leadership. He/She is also responsible for initiating new directions in the academic development of the University and for implementing the University’s strategic plan. The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Disciplinary Officer of the University and exercises general disciplinary functions over both members of staff and students subject to the statutes and all other regulations/policies of the University.
THE PERSON MUST BE
- of Professorial Status;
- a doctorate degree holder;
- able to serve a full FOUR-YEAR Term of office (1st October, 2023 to 30th September, 2027) before attaining the compulsory retiring age of SIXTY (60).
In addition to the above, the applicant must;
- be a nationally and internationally recognized and distinguished scholar with capacity to motivate and direct staff;
- have the capacity for marshaling the resources needed to carry out the University’s mission and vision;
- exhibit a high sense of industry, leadership qualities and organizational skills;
- be circumspect and above reproach;
- possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and capacity to manage and control crises;
- be visionary, business oriented and able to establish rapport between industry and university for a common purpose;
- be sober with maturity and drive for sound and impartial judgment;
TENURE OF OFFICE
The appointment, which is FULL-TIME shall be for Four (4) years in the first instance and may be renewed for a further term of up to Four (4) years only after evaluation of performance.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Very attractive; Terms and conditions of service will be specified in the instrument of appointment.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested applicants should submit their application letters together with Eight (8) copies of the following;
- Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees;
- Recommendations from three (3) referees to be forwarded to the Search Committee before the stated deadline; and
- A 1200 word vision statement for the University of Education, Winneba, and the strategies for achieving the vision. This must be on A4 paper using TIMES NEW ROMAN, font size 12, in 1.5 line spacing and with 2.54 cm margin.
Applications should be forwarded under REGISTERED COVER MARKED “APPLICATION FOR VICE-CHANCELLOR, UEW” to reach the following addresses, not later than 20th June, 2023
Search Committee for Vice-Chancellor
c/o The Acting Registrar
University of Education, Winneba
Search Committee for Vice-Chancellor
c/o The Office Manager
Universities of Ghana
Ghana Universities House
321 City Road