Admission into B. A. Creative Arts and Design Education | 2021/2022 academic year
About the Programme
The Creative Arts and Design Education programme is designed to fill the wide gap of training competent creative arts teachers who have adequate knowledge in Visual Arts, Music and Theatre Arts, and are capable of implementing the pre-tertiary creative arts curriculum in Ghana.
Teachers trained from this programme will be very helpful to the Ghana Education Service in that regard.
The programme is also meant to train personnel for managerial positions in the Arts, Culture, Media Arts and Tourism sectors.
The programme will fill the wide gap in training solely one-sided art educators and solve the human resource gap in the teaching and learning of Creative Arts in Ghanaian schools.
Of all the related Creative Arts training programmes in Ghana, there is none that focuses on holistic training of the Creative Arts teacher-trainee such that s/he has competencies in Visual Arts, Theatre Arts and Musical Arts.
Four categories of applicants will be considered for admission and must fulfil the following minimum requirements of the University.
Category A: WASSCE Certificate Holders
- At least six (6) WASSCE credit passes including three (3) Core Subjects: English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science or Social Studies and three (3) electives. Passes in Creative Arts subjects such as Visual Art, Literature-in-English, General Knowledge in Arts, Music and TVET will be an added advantage.
Category B: SSSCE Certificate Holders
- At least six (6) SSSCE credit passes including three (3) Core Subjects: English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science or Social Studies and three (3) electives. Passes in Creative Arts subjects such as Visual Art, Literature-in-English, General Knowledge in Arts, Music and TVET will be an added advantage.
Category C: Mature Applicants
- Must be at least 25 years by 1st September of year of application.
- Must hold
(a) Teacher’s Certificate ‘A’ OR
(b) WASSCE or SSSCE Certificate OR a Certificate in TVET training from a recognized institution.
3. Must pass the General Aptitude Test (GAT) and Subject Area Test (SAT) entrance Examination.
Category D: Diploma Holders
- Must possess a Diploma or its equivalent from a creative art and TVET related area from a recognized institution.
- Must pass an interview at the Department.
Category E: GCE ‘O’ and ‘A’ Level Holders
Five (5) credit passes at GCE “O” Level including English Language and Mathematics as well as two (2) “A” Level passes other than General Paper in the relevant subjects.
As one of the only Institutions in the country with a school for the Creative Arts, this programme targets Senior High School graduates with Visual Arts and Home Economics background. Professional Teachers who want to top up their diploma certificates are also possible targets. UEW can target other first-degree graduates from other sister institutions. Professionals in the movie, television, radio and the entire creative industry are possible targets for further studies. International students wishing to study African Traditional Dances/ drumming and African ritual theatre are possible targets.