Name of Department: Department of Home Economics Education.
Date of Establishment: The department of Home Economics Education was part of the Specialist Training College, Winneba. It was integrated into the University College of Education, Winneba in 1992.
Structure and Organization of Department: The Department runs a 4-year B.Sc degree, M.Ed Sandwich and M.Phil Programmes in Home Economics. The Units under the Department are as follows: Clothing and Textiles, Food & Nutrition, and Management in Living Units. In addition to the academic programmes, the Department has a Food Production and Clothing Production Units. The Food Production Unit provides catering services to the University community and its environs while the Clothing Production Unit is into income generation by undertaking contract sewing of clothing items for the university. Each unit has a head who oversees the management of the activities of the unit.
RATIONALE, GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMMES OF STUDY
The national education objective is to train people to acquire marketable skills to fit into society. The Department of Home Economics Education, since its establishments, has been receiving and upgrading its programme to make them more relevant to national needs.
Goals and Objectives:
- The goal of the Department is to train high caliber of Home Economics teachers to provide quality Home Economics Education in Ghanaian pre-tertiary institutions.
The programme is designed to equip students with knowledge and skills that would enable them effectively handle Home Economics subjects- Catering, Sewing, Basic Design and Technology, Food and Nutrition, Clothing and Textiles, Management in Living and Population and Family Life Education at the Junior and Senior High Schools and in Technical Institutions (Colleges of Education and Polytechnics)
The programme also provides students with deeper understanding of concepts and principles of Home Economics and equips them with analytical and practical skills, which enable them to improve the quality of life of their families, students and community members.
Objectives of the Programme are to:
- Produce an all round graduate who is capable of teaching in the Junior and Senior Secondary Schools, Diploma Awarding, Vocational/ Technical and Polytechnic Institution in the country.
- Produce graduates who will be able to cope with the challenges of life and operate effectively in any society in which they find themselves.
- Provide opportunities for students to undertake purposeful outreach programs to help improve living conditions in Ghanaian communities.
- Develop students’ competencies by promoting adequate understanding of the concepts of Home Economics and Vocational Skills to enable them teach effectively.
- Provide students with skills for conducting research and using their findings to solve problems of the individual, family and the society.