There is a general lack of professional TVET managers, policy analysts, competency-based curriculum developers, and assessors.Currently, TVET staff in Ghana lack the technical capacity to manage the TVET qualifications framework being implemented. As outlined by COTVET, the CBT development process has 10 major components:
- Market research, occupational analysis and needs assessment
- Establishment and Validation of Occupational Standards
- Translation of Occupational Standards into training programmes
- Development of Learning materials
- Design and development of assessment framework
- Development of Facilitators' and Assessors' Capacity
- Induction/Orientation of staff and learners
- Design and Development of Quality Assurance and Evaluation Instruments
- Establishment and development of capacity of Internal and External verifiers
- Establishment and development of capacity of Systems verifiers and evaluators.
The use of local and international consultants on short-term basis will not ensure a steady supply of expertise for the management of these 10 processes. Sustained implementation of on-going reforms in the TVET sector requires the establishment of a capacity building programme for personnel in areas such as curriculum development, effective TVET instructional methods, assessment, quality assurance, research, monitoring and evaluation, and consultancy.
The College of Technology Education Kumasi (COLTEK), a campus of University of Education Winneba as the Technical Teachers University in Ghana is committed to the advancement of TVET development as reflected in one of the Key Thrusts of the University's strategic vision which, amongst other things, seeks to:
- “Seek partnership with the Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (COTVET) for funding to set up Centre for TVET research, teaching and learning in Ghana;
- Design and run special UNIT for teachers in TVET to sharpen their skills with funding from government budget and Internally Generated Funds (IGF);
- Attract, train and retain teachers for CBT/TVET in Ghanal;
- Institutionalize training/sponsorship of staff to undertake professionally-based short UNITs in specific areas offered at professional institutions.
Thus there is a convergence of national need and the commitment of COLTEK to building human resource capacity to support the realization of the nation’s development initiative.